It turned out to be the most opulent breakfast: creamy, fruity, refreshing, - just perfect for this special day!
- 1 package (200-300 g) puff pastry
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 500 ml milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 120 ml sugar
- 75 ml flour
- 2 egg yolks
+ 300 g fresh srawberries
+ a handful of blueberries
+ a handful of thin almond splits, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 2 tablespoons of butter for decoration
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Roll out the puff pastry into a 3-mm thick 40 x 20-cm rectangle. Put it onto the baking tray and refrigerate till it gets cold.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Prick entire dough with a fork to prevent it from blowing. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for ca. 15 minutes. Put aside to cool.
- Pour the milk in a small saucepan. Remove the seeds from the vanilla bean and add to the milk. Put the bean into the milk too. Slowly heat the milk until it simmers.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour and egg yolks. Whisk a bit.
- Remove the vanilla bean from the hot milk and little by little whisk in the milk into the flour-sugar-egg mixture.
- Cook over medium heat while stirring constantly.It is important to stir the mixture all the time to avoid lumps. As soom as it gets really thick remove from the heat and let cool.
Cut the strawberries.
Slice the baked and cooled puff pastry into 2 even strips. Cover the first layer with with the cream, place on it strawberries and blueberries. Cover with the second strip of dough. Repeat the procedure.
Refrigerate over night.
Melt the sugar in a pan, add butter. When the sugar starts getting brown, add the almonds and roast them for a couple of minutes. Transfer the almonds into a plate and let cool. Sprinkle them over the torte just before serving.